We know that fiscal planning for post-secondary education in the United States as a non US-citizen can be challenging since need-based U.S. federal financial aid is not available to students on F, J and several other non-immigrant visas.
We therefore encourage you and your family to develop a long-term realistic financial plan that will sustain you for up to four years as an undergraduate student and allow you to focus on your academic and professional success, and personal growth.
Here are some ideas and resources for you to consider:
- Will you be taking IB higher level, AP, British A level or CAPE Unit Two examinations? If yes, successful results may earn you advanced standing and AU credits, and save you time and money. Visit our exam credit page for our 2021 policies on advanced standing for specific examination subjects (2022 policies are subject to revision).
- If you are admitted and decide to attend AU, you can set up an installment plan through AU's Student Accounts Office to pay up to 10 payments per year instead of paying all at once. For further information, please visit our student accounts page.
- After the first two semesters at AU, and with the approval of your academic adviser, you may wish to think about studying during the summers to accumulate credits and perhaps graduate in 3 1/2 years instead of four years.
- This scholarship chart lists information about external scholarship resources that do not require U.S. citizenship. Please review eligibility requirements and deadline dates carefully to see if you qualify for one or more funding opportunities.
- The International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) office is here to support you. From the first steps of learning about AU to processing the official documents needed to settle in, ISSS is dedicated to helping international students and scholars thrive in the AU community.
- Many AU departments offer scholarships for students once you’re enrolled at AU. These scholarships may help to reduce your annual costs:
- The U.S. Department of State's website is an excellent resource for information about U.S. higher education, pre-departure information, and frequently asked questions.
- This short video provides budgeting tips and advice specifically
for international students.
- Your education is an investment in your future, and the return on that investment at AU is impressive. Find out where an AU degree can take you.
We hope the above information is helpful. Please don't hesitate to contact us at email@example.com if you have further questions.